To share knowledge on issues related to the decline of groundwater resources and increase of subsidence rate in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta to students, graduate students, and young staff. The Institute for Climate Change Research (DRAGON-Mekong Institute) - Can Tho University in collaboration with Arcadis (Netherlands) under the sponsorship of Netherlands Enterprise Agency organised an online seminar called "Governance of land subsidence and groundwater management in the Mekong Delta for students, young generation." (Takes place on December 21, 2021).
An online seminar on "Governance of land subsidence and groundwater management in the Mekong Delta for students, young generation"
Attending the workshop in the presence of scientists in the fields of engineering, water resource management, geology, and other fields related to the management and sustainable development of water resources in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta (VMD) from Can Tho University, Ho Chi Minh City University of Architecture, Dong Thap University, Tay Do University, Southern Institute of Irrigation Science, Center for Rural Research and Development. There was also participation from the Youth Union of Can Tho University, along with students, graduate students, and young staff from many parts of the Mekong Delta.
During the opening session, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Van Pham Dang Tri - Deputy Director, DRAGON-Mekong Institute briefly introduced the seminar. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Van Pham Dang Tri presented the seminar’s theme of the seminar, as well as discussed issues governance of land subsidence and groundwater management in the VMD towards the sustainable development of the VMD, the role and responsibility of the young generation with the sustainable development of the VMD.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Van Pham Dang Tri - Deputy Director, DRAGON-Mekong Institute gave the opening speech of the seminar.
Dr. Nguyen Thanh Tuu, Deputy Director, Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Tra Vinh University presented: "The system thinking model evaluates surface water resources under the impact of climate change, socio-economic, and land use in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta."
Mr. Phan Ky Trung, Department of Water Resources Engineering, College of Environment and Natural Resources presented: "Improving the adaptive capacity and resilience of the community under the impact of climate change in the Vietnamese Mekong Delta (CoRe)."
Mr. Le Nguyen Hai Dang - Member of the Standing Committee of the Youth Union, Vice Chairman of the Youth Union, Can Tho University present about: "Youth Union activities in raising awareness of members and young people in environmental protection at Can Tho University."
In the line with the presentations of the speakers, Seminar also received contributions from experts in the fields related to land subsidence and groundwater management.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Pham Thanh Vu, Head of The Department of Land Resources, College of Environment and Natural Resources, Can Tho University sharing ideas how to improve youth-environment relations.
Dr. Nguyen Ha Quoc Tin, Head of Political Work - Student Management Department, Tay Do University shared his opinion on the youth movement associated with environmental protection.
Ms. Le Van Du, Department of Environmental Management, College of Environment and Natural Resources, Can Tho University propose several solutions to disseminate environmental knowledge to the young generation and people in the VMD
A number of solutions have been suggested, including:
Techniques and policies:
- The upstream area is flooded every year, while the coastal region lacks freshwater due to saltwater intrusion, so there needs to be a solution to transport excess water from upstream to supply the downstream, coastal VMD.
- Proposing conversion of autumn-winter rice crop to other livelihood models such as tourism services, business because the 3-crop rice model if prolonged will cause the source of nutrition in the soil increasingly squeezed. This can also cut down on the amount of groundwater that has to be extracted.
- It is necessary to study small-scale models, then integrate and replicate for the delta will be more effective than a large-scale model for the whole VMD. Managing inputs such as drains and dykes, as well as determining which elements will have an impact on certain locations. From there, specific solutions will be proposed for each region.
For young people:
- Building the integration of environmental awareness education through organizing courses suitable for students of each major.
- Building contents and skills education programs associated with raising awareness about environmental protection
- Promoting the role of students on the front of climate change propaganda and environmental protection
- Showing to students the effectiveness of youth programs to attract their attention and participation from them, enhancing the leadership role of youth unions in environmental protection
Exchange of information:
- Social media and short video platforms are increasing in popularity. Therefore, it is possible to consider building a communication channel on these platforms to attract attention from people, especially the youth in the VMD, raising people's awareness of current environmental issues.
(News and Images: DRAGON-Mekong Institute)
Conference on Sustainable Uses of the Mekong Water Resources
On April 22nd and 23rd, 2016, Can Tho University (CTU) coordinated with Ho Chi Minh City Peace and Development Foundation, Tri Viet Center for Social...
The Scientific workshop on “Impacts of upstream constructions on the Mekong River”
On March, 3rd 2016, the Scientific workshop on “Impacts of upstream constructions on the Mekong River” was held at Can Tho University. The workshop ha...
A workshop training on Urban Water Distribution Network Modelling and Analysis
On December, 8-10th 2015, a workshop on “Green designs for Integrated Urban Water Cycle Management – solutions for secondary cities in Global south to...
A seminar on Land filtration of ground water treatment
On December, 7th 2015, a seminar on Land filtration of ground water treatment held at Can Tho University. Participants of the seminar were mainly staf...
Open meeting with the delegates of the U.S Consulate General on cooperation activities of DRAGON Mekong-CTU Institute
On August 19, 2014, Can Tho University held a meeting with a delegation of the US Consulate General. The welcoming delegation included: Assoc. Prof. L...